Sunday, July 01, 2007

Me and you and July

Last year, I delineated my favorite Junes, and was more successful at coming up with ideas than I am with Julys. I've never seen or read Born on the 4th of July (and I call myself a Tom Cruise fan!). So I will simply offer up Miranda July, the savior (?) of indie film. She did the cute, pithy, slightly profound Me and You and Everyone We Know. Take a look at her short film, Are You the Favorite Person of Anybody, directed by Miguel Arteta and co-starring Mike White (who collaborated on the masterful The Good Girl). Its premise is wafer-thin, but it works as a cute, pithy, slightly profound diversion (even though I don't much like John C. Reilly). I've read some of her new short story collection, No One Belongs Here More Than You, and it's sufficiently different than most anything else ever. Can you think of other movie-related Julys?

Addendum: I'm on vacation this week. Will be in Cape Cod. Are there any good Cape Cod movies? All I can think of is Michael Cunningham and his drippy nostalgia for Wellfleet in The Hours: I remember one morning getting up at dawn, there was such a sense of possibility. You know, that feeling? And I remember thinking to myself: So, this is the beginning of happiness. This is where it starts. And of course there will always be more. It never occurred to me it wasn't the beginning. It was happiness. It was the moment. Right then.

7 comments:

Damian Arlyn said...

May favorite Cap Cod movie?

Splash

Middento said...

Sorry to miss you on Cape! A & X head up on the 4th, while I stay here to work for another week.

My favorite 4th of July movie is Miss Firecracker, which goes down both sweet and salty. Holly Hunter is fab, but so is Alfre Woodard, pre-Passion Fish. Of course, there is also the good stand-by Yankee Doodle Dandy (how can you go wrong with Jimmy Cagney?) and Dogville (how can you go wrong with Lars... never mind).

As for best Cape Cod movie? Please. The biggest, bestest one of all also has a great 4th of July scene. Because if you're going to Amity Island, you're going to need a bigger boat...

Anonymous said...

Everyone knows the best Cape Cod movie is Summer Catch.

JJ, try catching a Cape League game while you're there. Best amateur baseball in the world. My Yarmouth-Dennis Red Sox are defending champs!

Maria said...

You should be with me, not with Cape Cod. I hope you're forced to eat nothing but seafood.

Imissyousomuch.

Alanna said...

))<>((. Back and forth. Forever.

J.J. said...

Splash is in Cape Cod? I thought it was New York. Or did he first meet the mermaid in the cape and she followed him to New York? I could've sworn it took place in NYC (what with her demanding to be named Madison -- after the avenue).

Middento said...

Splash indeed takes place in New York. Either that, or there are some gigantic skyscrapers and department stores on Cape that I know nothing about. *giggle*