Thursday, April 12, 2007

B-sides: Denis Leary & Kurt Vonnegut

For a true appreciation of Vonnegut, go here. As for me, I like the crap he wrote for women's journals. My aunt turned me on to the short story "Long Walk to Forever," which I read every now and then because it's an arm wrestling match between Vonnegut's writerly sensibilities and his deference to the target audience. (The match is an electric stalemate -- here's a shoddy transcription of the story.) The heart of the matter: I always wanted to make a short film of it, but just found out that has already been done. Denis Leary made his acting debut in the 1987 film version. I want to see this. Has anyone seen it? Heard anything about it? Being a short film from 20 years ago, I'd imagine it's simply unviewable today. Not on DVD. Not on eBay. And so on. Next post: I got a look at 20 minutes of Hairspray footage today. Reactions tomorrow.

2 comments:

Mike z said...

That link to Long Walk to Forever is almost unreadable.

Try this: http://www.lib.ru/RAZNOE/long.txt

Alanna said...

Interesting. That story is the most un-Vonnegut Vonnegut out there.